Developer: Nintendo EPD
Miitopia is an RPG with life simulation elements, using Mii avatars as playable characters. It takes inspiration from Tomodachi Life, having relationships between Miis affect combat. Following controversy around Tomodachi Life‘s exclusion of same-sex relationships, Miitopia does not have marriage, but allows players to increase relationship levels between characters regardless of gender. Players are also able to wear opposite-gendered clothing from taking on opposite-gendered jobs.
LGBTQ References in this game:
- Arana, G. (2014, May 8). Nintendo’s anti-gay cop-out: Why its demented same-sex ban is no game. Retrieved from https://www.salon.com/2014/05/08/nintendos_anti_gay_cop_out_why_its_demented_same_sex_ban_is_no_game/
- Andriessen, C. J. (2017, July 27). Nintendo kinda, sorta kept its big gay promise. Retrieved from https://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-kinda-sorta-kept-its-big-gay-promise-451397.phtml
- fortressgirl100. (2017, August 5). If we have Male Popstar, the why is there no *spoiler* class? Retrieved March 23, 2020, from https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/195500-miitopia/75640902
- Miitopia. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miitopia
- Tomodachi Life. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomodachi_Life