Toad (the character) and Toads (the species) have been in the Super Mario Bros series since 1985. In 2014, the creator of the series Shigeru Miyamoto revealed that Toads were designed without a specific gender in mind. Nintendo producer Koichi Hayashida similarly said that “Toads are a genderless race that take on gendered characteristics” (Corriea, 2014).
LGBTQ references in this game series:
- Corriea, A.R. (November 17, 2014). Nintendo Reveals the Toads’ Gender Secret. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-reveals-the-toads-gender-secret/1100-6423610
- iJustine. (2014, December 17). Shigeru Miyamoto Interview. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUkU6O4p7Lw&t=8m44s
- Mattos, S. (November 18, 2014). Nintendo: Toad and Toadette May Not Have Set Sexes, Genders. Retrieved from http://gaygamer.net/2014/11/nintendo-toad-and-toadette-may-not-have-set-sexes-genders
- Mattos, S. (January 2, 2015). GGOTY 2014: Gayest Games of the Year. Retrieved from http://gaygamer.net/2015/01/ggoty-2014-gayest-games-of-the-year
- Toad. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toad_(Mario)
- Toads. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.mariowiki.com/toad_(species)