Cherry is an unlockable enemy character in Fighter Destiny 2 who, at least in the Japanese version of the game, was coded as a drag queen character. In the original game Cherry, according to one review, speaks “with a camp but unmistakably masculine voice” (Szczepaniak, 2011). When the game was localized for the U.S., however, Cherry’s voice over was provided by a female voice actor. You can see a video of Cherry in action here.
Accounts of how to access this character differ. One site says to access Cherry the player needs to beat the game (against the computer) with Pierre and then playing the game in survival mode and beating at least 100 characters. Another site says to simply “play as Pierre and beat Survival Mode.” Once defeated, Cherry becomes a playable character.
- Ahmed, S. (2006, May 17). Fighter Destiny 2 Character Information. Gamespot. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fighter-destiny-2-character-information/1100-2584235/
- Casamassina, M. (2000, June 19). Fighter Destiny 2. IGN. http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/06/20/fighter-destiny-2
- Delayne. (2014, August 3). Fighters Destiny/Fighters Destiny 2. Gamers Generation. http://gamersgeneration.forumotion.com/t425-fighters-destiny-fighters-destiny-2
- Eclectic World of Gaming! (2010, November 18). Fighter Destiny 2– Cherry Playthrough (Request). YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX6iX9HTDE4
- Fighter Destiny 2. (n.d.) Retrieved from http://www.gamefaqs.com/n64/197326-fighter-destiny-2
- Fighters Destiny. (n.d.) Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighters_Destiny
- Fighters Destiny. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/FightersDestiny
- LGBT Characters in video games. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_characters_in_video_games
- O’Keefee, K. (2016, February 22) Nintendo’s New Game ‘Fire Emblem: Fates’ is the first to feature queer characters. Arts.Mic. http://mic.com/articles/135754/nintendo-s-new-game-fire-emblem-fates-is-the-first-to-feature-queer-characters#.ivXGdEdKr
- Szczepaniak, J. (2011, June 26). Fighters Destiny. Hardcore Gaming 101. Retrieved from http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/fightersdestiny/fightersdestiny.htm