It is rumored that in 1992, Nintendo ordered Enix to do a series of changes before Dragon Warrior III could be sold in the US. One of these changes, allegedly, was removing a gay bar, but none of the available sources are more specific than that.
Some claim that Nintendo later gave up on its censorship practices, and added the gay bar back back into the Gameboy version after the original U.S. release. Apparently, in that version the gay bar was rated “Teen.” However, others report that the gay bar is nowhere to be found.
LGBTQ references in this game:
- Bears In Games Episode 5 – The State Of Gays In Games Pt2. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=lLrqwOdOAgc
- Dragon Warrior III – Censored Gay Bar? (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2vixh5/dragon_warrior_iii_censored_gay_bar
- Dragon Warrior III’s Supposed “Gay Bar.” (n.d.). Retrieved from http://dragonquest.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Dragon_Warrior_III’s_Supposed_%22Gay_Bar%22
- GLBT History in Video Games: 1990s. (June 12, 2012). Retrieved from http://www.gamingbus.com/2012/06/12/glbt-history-video-games-1990s
- LGBT Themes in Video Games. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_themes_in_video_games
- Princess Gwaelin at Inns, Coffins, PUFF PUFF, Wellgarth Inn. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://flamsterette.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/princess-gwaelin-at-inns-coffins-puff-puff-wellgarth-inn