In Harvester, firemen appear to be a running gay joke. At one point, Steve buys a pornographic magazine in the general store and the old woman behind the counter says, “that kind of interest is healthy for a young fella. Steers him away from being a fireman” (Cobbett, 2011). When entering the fire station, Steve sees that the firemen apparently spend their day sketching a bikini-clad male model (Kalata, 2011). The firemen are described in another review as “lisping, effeminate ‘flame’ specialists” (Hudak, 1996).
- Cobbett, R. (2011, May 13). Saturday Crapshoot: Harvester. PC Gamer. http://www.pcgamer.com/saturday-crapshoot-harvester/
- Elston, B. (2009, October 29). The bloodiest games you’ve never played. Games Radar. http://www.gamesradar.com/the-bloodiest-games-youve-never-played/?page=3
- Harvester (video game). (n.d.). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvester_(video_game)
- Hudak, C. (1996, August 29). Harvester Review. Gamespot. http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/harvester-review/1900-2537444/
- Kalata, K. (2011, November 9). Harvester. Hardcore Gaming 101. http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/harvester/harvester.htm
- Malin, A. (2014, July 21). Inside Harvester: A fan interview with Gilbert P. Austin. GoG Tumblr. http://gogcom.tumblr.com/post/92424446858/harvester-gilbert-austin-intervie