Fear Effect 2 features a heavily implied, if not explicitly stated, relationship between the main player-character Hana Tsu-Vachel and her partner Rain Qin. Hana is a French-Chinese freelancer for the Traid. Rain is hacker who has no memory of her past. Their relationship, according to this review, was only a small part of the overarching game story. The ads for the game however, like the one pictured below, hinted at a much more explicit relationship than what is shown in the game. One of the rare moments in which their relationship is more than hinted at appears in the video below.
It is important to note that in the original game, Hana’s partner and male love interest is another mercenary, Glas Royce. Stan Liu, the President/CEO of Kronos Digital Entertainment and the writer/director of Fear Effect, says explicitly in one interview that Hana is bisexual. He also states that their relationship was meant to be “closer to Xena and Gabrielle” rather than “Thelma and Louise.” It was not a main part of the story, and “The only reason I wanted Hana to have a female companion this time around is because it gives me the ability to create an extremely interesting love triangle further down the road” (Lui, 2001).
- Fear Effect. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_Effect
- Hana Tsu-Vachel. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hana_Tsu-Vachel
- Hana Tsu-Vachel. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://feareffect.wikia.com/wiki/Hana_Tsu-Vachel
- Is Fear Effect’s Hana Tsu Vaschel Gaming’s Only Gay Protagonist? (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.totalmediabridge.com/is-fear-effects-hana-tsu-vaschel-gamings-only-gay-protagonist
- Lui, Chi Kong. (2001, April 4). Interview with Stan Liu – Part 2. (April 4, 2001). Game Critics.com. Retrieved from http://www.gamecritics.com/interview-stan-liu-part-2
- Lui, Chi Kong. (2004, May 4). Game for Sex Vol. 1. Game Critics.com. Retrieved from http://www.gamecritics.com/chi-kong-lui/game-for-sex-vol-1
- LGBT characters in video games. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_characters_in_video_games
- Rainn Qin. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://feareffect.wikia.com/wiki/Rain_Qin
- The War Games. (2011, May 16). Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix – Sexy Elevator Action. YouTube. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUW9hwIRZYQ
- Thelma and Louise. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelma_%26_Louise
- Xena and Gabrielle: Lesbian Icons. (2003, August 13). After Ellen.com. Retrieved from http://www.afterellen.com/tv/4578-xena-and-gabrielle-lesbian-icons
- Zoomin. TV Games. (2013, April 5). Top 5 – Lesbian scenes in gaming. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jy-UjMaDGk
- Zoomin. TV Games. (2013, September 5). Retro game of the week- Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix (PSX). YouTube. Zoomin. TV Games. (2013, April 5).