RuPaul’s Drag Race: Dragopolis is a mobile puzzle-adventure game released for the iOS and Android mobile operating systems in 2013. The player character is a customizable drag queen that is able to change outfits, hair, and makeup styling as they progress through the game. As a game based on a reality-tv show about drag queens, hosted by one of the world’s most famous drag queens, the gameplay and design is full of queer subject matter. Drag queens from various seasons of RuPaul’s Drag Race make cartoon appearances and inspire different levels as the player progresses. An updated “2.0” version of the game was released in 2014 with more levels that feature more recent celebrity drag queens from the RuPaul’s Drag Race universe. Overall, Dragopolis is a campy and queer take on the puzzle-runner model that has become popular in the mobile game world.
LGBTQ References in this game:
- So Much Drama Studios. (2013). RuPaul’s Drag Race: Dragopolis. Retrieved from http://somuchdramastudios.com/rupauls-drag-race-dragopolis/
- (n.d). RuPaul’s Drag Race: Dragopolis. Apple App Store. Retrieved from https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rupauls-drag-race-dragopolis/id640570956?ls=1&mt=8
- (n.d). RuPaul’s Drag Race: Dragopolis. Google Play Store. Retrieved from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dragopolis.Dragopolis&hl=en
- (2014, December 4). RuPaul’s Drag Race: Dragopolis 2.0 Available NOW. RuPaul (Official Website). Retrieved from http://www.rupaul.com/rupauls-drag-race-dragopolis-2-0-available-now/
- James St. James. (2014, July 23). Yes GAWD! RuPaul’s Drag Race: Dragopolis 2.0 Is Coming!. World of Wonder. Retrieved from http://worldofwonder.net/yes-gawd-rupauls-drag-race-dragopolis-2-0-coming/