Jack Morrison, or Soldier: 76, is one of Overwatch’s playable characters. He was founder and head of Overwatch during its height, but was presumed dead in a fight with co-founder Gabriel Reyes. Afterwards, he took on the identity of Soldier: 76 to fight off the grid against Overwatch’s previous aggressors. His abilities involve superhuman speed and various stolen Overwatch technology. In the short story Bastet (2019), it was revealed Jack had an ex-boyfriend named Vincent. Michael Chu, Overwatch’s lead writer, later confirmed he is gay.
LGBTQ references in this game:
- Media – Overwatch. (2019). Retrieved from https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/media/soldier-76-concept.
- Oh, Ashley. (2019). Blizzard quietly confirms another LGBTQ Overwatch hero. Polygon. Retrieved from https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/7/18172470/overwatch-soldier-76-gay-bisexual.
- Soldier: 76 (n.d.). Retrieved February 20, 2019 from the Overwatch Gamepedia: https://overwatch.gamepedia.com/Soldier:_76.
- Tassi, Paul. (2019). Yes, ‘Overwatch’ Making Both Soldier: 76 And Tracer Gay Is A Big Deal. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2019/01/08/yes-overwatch-making-both-soldier-76-and-tracer-gay-is-a-big-deal/#73a262167008.
- westofhouse. (2019, January 7.) Thanks for all the messages about “Bastet”! Jack and Vincent were in a romantic relationship many years ago. Both identify as gay. ❤️. [Tweet]. Retrieved from https://twitter.com/westofhouse/status/1082394625837428736