Following controversy around Tomodachi Life‘s exclusion of same-sex relationships, Miitopia does not allow players to marry, but allows players to increase relationship levels between characters regardless of gender. This is done on a level system, where any relationship from level 50 and on considers characters “Soulmates”. However, there are no typical expressions of this relationship (such as marriage, kissing, sharing a bed, etc) other than the two characters having heart eyes when viewing their relationship.
LGBTQ References in this game:
- Arana, G. (2014, May 8). Nintendo’s anti-gay cop-out: Why its demented same-sex ban is no game. Retrieved from https://www.salon.com/2014/05/08/nintendos_anti_gay_cop_out_why_its_demented_same_sex_ban_is_no_game/
- Andriessen, C. J. (2017, July 27). Nintendo kinda, sorta kept its big gay promise. Retrieved from https://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-kinda-sorta-kept-its-big-gay-promise-451397.phtml
- Miitopia. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miitopia
- Relationships. (n.d.). Retrieved March 23, 2020, from https://miitopia.fandom.com/wiki/Relationships
- Tomodachi Life. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomodachi_Life