Arthur and Stanley Petersen are a gay couple who are members of Away, an Arizonian desert community in Life is Strange 2. Arthur was closeted for most of his life, marrying a woman and having three daughters before being able to come out to his family around twenty years into his marriage. He was disowned in response and alienated by his ex-wife and two of his daughters. Arthur and Stanley both had “serious breakdowns” after this and left their homes in the San Francisco Bay Area. At some point, they settled down as members of Away.
The player can ask why they came out to Away, which will result in this response:
- Sean: So why did you come out here?
- Stanley: Because we got tired of people’s bullshit. Things change… but being gay is still dangerous. The end.
LGBTQ References in this game series:
Life is Strange (2015): Chloe Price, Max Caulfield, Rachel Amber
Life is Strange 2 (2018-2019): Arthur and Stanley Petersen, Finn McNamara, Jacob Hackerman, Sean Diaz
- Various. (n.d.). Episode 5: Wolves – Script. Retrieved May 15, 2020, from https://life-is-strange.fandom.com/wiki/Episode_5:_Wolves_-_Script#Why come here?
- Various. (n.d.). Stanley Petersen. Retrieved May 15, 2020, from https://life-is-strange.fandom.com/wiki/Stanley_Petersen
- Various. (n.d.). Arthur Petersen. Retrieved May 15, 2020, from https://life-is-strange.fandom.com/wiki/Arthur_Petersen