Year: 2010 (started)
Publisher: NIS America (WW), Spike (JP), Spike Chunsoft (WW Microsoft Windows)
Developer: Spike Chunsoft
Creator: Yoshinori Terasawa
Genre: Adventure, visual novel
The Danganronpa Series began in 2010 with Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, which was followed by Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair in 2012. In 2013, Spike Chunsoft released a compilation of the first two games that released on Playstation Vita and then was ported to Steam and the Playstation 4 later on: Danganronpa 1.2 Reload. In 2017, the first game outside of the Hope’s Peak Academy saga was released for the Playstation Vita and the Playstation 4: Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony. Several spin-offs, smartphone applications, and a free virtual reality technical demo based on the first game have been released on a variety of platforms.
The series focuses on the school life of high schoolers trapped inside a school in each entry, forced to participate in a killing game. All games before Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony focus on the school life of students at Hope’s Peak Academy while Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony focuses on the school life of students at the Ultimate Academy for Gifted Juveniles instead.
LGBTQ References in this series:
See also QRM’s entry for this game series.
- Danganronpa (n.d.). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danganronpa#Video_games
- Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danganronpa:_Trigger_Happy_Havoc
- Danganronpa 1.2 Reload. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://danganronpa.fandom.com/wiki/Danganronpa_1.2_Reload
- Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danganronpa_2:_Goodbye_Despair
- Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danganronpa_V3:_Killing_Harmony