Most games in the Harvest Moon Series require that the player-character be the opposite gender from the NPC they wish to marry (in addition to the characters having enough affection, etc.). The Japanese version of Harvest Moon DS Cute, a version of the game that only includes a female player-character, includes the “best friend” system. This allows players to “marry” four “special” female NPCs as well as all of the marriageable male NPCs. This feature was removed when the game was localized for Western audiences (Rea, 2010).
LGBTQ references in this game series:
- Harvest Moon (video game). (n.d.). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_Moon_(video_game)
- Harvest Moon DS. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_Moon_DS
- Harvest Moon DS Cute. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://harvestmoon.wikia.com/wiki/Harvest_Moon_DS:_Cute
- Rea, J.M. (2010, June 21). Harvest Moon and Same-Sex Relationships. VentureBeat. http://venturebeat.com/community/2010/06/21/harvest-moon-and-same-sex-relationships/
- Sandymaxy. (2008, August 11). Harvest Moon DS Cute- Best Frineds Cu
- Story of Seasons (series). (n.d.). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_of_Seasons_(series)