Simon the Sorcerer 2 includes minor references to gender non-conforming behaviors and representations throughout the game, in line with its overall aesthetic as a parody of the fantasy genre. All of the time stamps below are from this video.
The game includes jokes about gendered hairstyles (27:32-27:48), male strippers (1:18:28-1:19:30), and anal probing (3:40:14-3:41:00). On a few occasions, the player may reply to characters with “you’re not my type” in response to a humorous play on words (1:27:42-1:28:03; 1:59:07-1:59:34). Dialogue from these scenes is copied below.
Characters: Simon and Ironmonger (M)
Time: 27:37 (Start of Scene)
- Simon: Greetings humble purveyor of metal-wear.
- Ironmonger: Greetings traveler from another dimension.
- Simon: How did YOU know that?
- Ironmonger: Simple, only girls have pony-tails in this dimension.
- Simon: The hits just keep on coming.
Characters: Simon and Inventor (M)
Time: 1:19:05 (Start of Scene)
- Simon: What’s Tax Form 416D?
- Inventor: It covers manure salesman, male strip tease artists, and professional inventors. Haha.
- Simon: You were never a strip tease artist…
- Inventor: Nien! I am an inventor.
Characters: Simon and Alien (has masculine voice)
Time: 3:40:14 (Start of Scene)
- Simon: Excuse me pal, do you know how to get to Calypso’s Magic Emporium?
- Alien: (alien language)
- Simon: Translation: “No, but I’m going to have to search your body cavities.” I can see we understand each other.
- Alien pulls out rubber glove
- Simon: Help!
- Reappears on island with Genie
- Genie: Woops.
- Simon: Woops? Some freaky green (sprack? *couldn’t hear well*) was about to stick a rubber glove up my -! And all you can say is “Woops?”
- Genie: Sorry
- Simon: What’s the matter with you?
- Genie: It’s the whiskey.
“Not My Type” scenes:
Characters: Simon and Fat Bloke (M)
Time: 1:28:01 (Start of Scene)
- Simon: I’d like to buy some green cloth please?
- Fat Bloke: Green? No problem. But that will be a lot of money.
- Simon: How much money?
- Fat Bloke: More than you could afford, however, if you can do me a little favor, then we could come to some sort of agreement.
- (unchosen response) Simon: Sorry. You’re not really my type.
- Simon: As long as it doesn’t involve leather then I’ll do it.
- Fat Bloke: It’s the rear entrance (referring to a cavern)
- Simon: That’s what I was afraid of…
- Fat Bloke: Don’t come back until you fetch me the lamp!
Characters: Simon and Ticket Salesman (M)
Time: 1:59:14 (Start of Scene)
- Salesman: I just need a few details…
- Simon: Simon
- Salesman: Sex?
- Simon: Sorry, you’re not really my type.
- Salesman: I’ll just put male, shall I?
- Simon: If you like.
LGBTQ references in this game:
- Crystal. (2012, June 12). GLBT History in Video Gmaes: 1990s. Gaming Bus. http://www.gamingbus.com/2012/06/12/glbt-history-video-games-1990s/
- LGBT characters in video games. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_characters_in_video_games
- ponnupazoozu. (2013, July 22). Simon the Sorcerer II: The Lion, The Wizard, And The Wardrobe [RetroGame Walkthrough]. YouTube. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?