Makoto Nanaya is a playable character in Blazblue: Continuum Shift II and she makes appearances in other Blazblue media titles. As a demi-human, Makoto has enhanced reflexes and physical strength, making her a formidable opponent in the Blazblue universe. Fans have read Makoto as being queer or bisexual due her (seemingly one-sided) advances with other female characters – namely Mai Natsume, Tsubaki Yomi, and Noel Vermillion – as well as her flirtations with some male characters in the Blazblue franchise. This speculation increased after Makoto kissed Mai in a chapter of the spin-off manga Blazblue Heart Remix, and is supported by series creator Toshimischi Mori discussing Makoto as filling a “plot gap” for a woman-loving-woman (yuri) character.
- Various. (n.d.). Makoto Nanaya (character page). Blazblue Wiki. Retrieved from http://blazblue.wikia.com/wiki/Makoto_Nanaya
- Takoto. (2012, July 19). So, Makoto is pretty much confirmed now for Bisexual/Lesbian (forum post). Blazblue Forum. Retrieved from http://www.blazblue.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=11842
- Various. (n.d.). Badass Bisexual Trope. TV Tropes Wiki. Retrieved from http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/discussion.php?id=e2tbbk0qomo0g8013gpzp3lr
- Various. (2014, May 14). Sexualized characters that were done right. Escapist Magazine Forum. Retrieved from http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.850708-Sexualized-characters-that-were-done-right?page=2
- Various. (2014, January 7). Is Makoto a bisexual or a lesbian?. GameFaqs Forum. Retrieved from https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/680197-blazblue-chrono-phantasma/68282796
- Cheng Kai Sim. (2014, June 22). BlazBlue creator Toshimichi Mori: Tsubaki was originally conceptualised as a lesbian (yuri) character. EventHubs. Retrieved from https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/jun/22/blazblue-creator-toshimichi-mori-tsubaki-was-originally-conceptualised-lesbian-yuri-character/