Kanji is a playable character in Persona 4 (part of the Persona series). According to one wiki, his “Shadow is homosexual” but “Kanji’s sexual orientation is kept ambiguous” (Kanji Tatsumi). In game lore, this suggests that Kanji struggles with his gender and sexual identity (Zaher, 2014). He develops feelings for Naoto when that character is passing as male, thoughKanji does not express these feelings until it is revealed that Naoto’s assigned gender is female. There is an extended discussion of Kanji’s sexuality available here.
LGBTQ content in this game series:
- Kanji Tatsumi. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji_Tatsumi
- Kanji Tatsumi. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Kanji_Tatsum
- List of Persona 4 Characters (n.d.). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Persona_4_characters
- Persona. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona_(series)
- Petit, C. (2013, March 1). Denial of the Self: Queer Characters in Persona 4. Gamespot. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chie_Satonaka
- Xu, Samantha. (2009, January 28). Opinion: Sexuality and Homophobia in Persona 4. Gamasutra. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/112965/Opinion_Sexuality_And_Homophobia_In_Persona_4.php
- Youngblood, J. (2013). “C’mon! Make me a man!”: Persona 4, Digital Bodies, and Queer Potentiality. Ada (2) http://adanewmedia.org/2013/06/issue2-youngblood/.
- Zaher, T. (2014, September 18). Portrayal of LGBT Characters in Persona. Geeks Out. http://geeksout.org/blogs/troy-zaher/portrayal-lgbt-characters-persona