In the Dragon Age series, the player can romance several non-playable characters (NPCs), depending on the gender of the player-character and the sexuality of the NPC.
Dragon Age Origins
In the first game of the series, Dragon Age: Origins, there are four companion characters that can be romanced. The two heterosexual options are Morrigan (can be romanced by a male player-character) and Alistair (can be romanced by a female player-character). The bisexual NPCs that can be romanced by male and female player-characters are Zevran and Leliana. You can see all romance options in the following video:
The player can romance more than one NPC at a time, though doing so may trigger “jealousy” dialog and/or a break up. In addition, there is an optional threesome with Zevran and his old flame, a female pirate, or the female pirate and Leliana. There is even a foursome possible with all three of these characters (see video below).
There are also several other romance opportunities available in the game depending on the player-character’s class and race, and the player-character can hire sex workers in brothels regardless of gender, class, or race.
Dragon Age II
In the second game of the series, Dragon Age II, regardless of the gender of the player-character Hawke, the player can romance four out of five possible companion characters: Isabela, Merrill, Anders, and Fenris. Sebastian, a character only available via DLC, can only be romanced by a female Hawke. You can see a video of all romance options below.
As in the first game, the player-character can hire sex workers in brothels regardless of gender, class, or race, including the “drag queen” character Serendipity.
Dragon Age: Inquisition
The third game in the series, Dragon Age: Inquisition, has more romance options than the first game, though as in earlier games some of these options are restricted by the player-character’s gender and race. They are not, however, restricted to companion characters. The NPCs that can be romanced are (parentheses indicate NPC’s assumed sexuality):
Cassandra Pentaghast (heterosexual female)
Dorian Pavus (homosexual male)
Blackwall (heterosexual male)
Sera (homosexual female)
Iron Bull (bisexual male)
Josephine Montilyet (bisexual female)
Cullen Rutherford (heterosexual male, only available to human and elven player-characters)
Solas (heterosexual male, only available to elven player-characters)
This video shows all of the romance options in the game:
In total, there are six NPC romance options for a female elven player-character, five for a female human, and four for all other gender/race combinations. There are also some additional sexual or flirtatious encounters available throughout the game, and as in previous games in the series players can hire sex workers of any gender in the brothels.
LGBTQ references in this game series:
Dragon Age II (2011): Serendipity
Heroes of Dragon Age (2013): Maevaris Tilani
- AbilityDrain. (2014, September 4). Dragon Age: Inquisition- All 8 Romance Options. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-uUn5s2VlA
- Dyce, A. (2014). Dragon Age writer talks Bioware’s stance on same-sex romance. Game Rant. http://gamerant.com/bioware-same-sex-romance-stance/
- FluffyNinkaLlama. (2011, June 24). Dragon Age: Origins Foursome with Isabela, Leliana, and Zevran (Fem Warden Version). YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqouosJ0VmE
- Forrest Keel. (2014, February 28). Dragon Age: Origins- All Romance Options. YouTube.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZzSFVOaWXU
- Forrest Keel. (2014, Feburary 28). Dragon Age 2- All Romance/Sex Options. YouTube.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c1p1VQhcoY
- Gay option. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GayOption
- Greer, S. (2013), Playing queer: Affordances for sexuality in Fable and Dragon Age. Journal of Gaming & Virtual Worlds 5(1): 3–21, doi: 10.1386/jgvw.5.1.3_1
- LeJacq, Y. (2015, June 26). A Brief History of Gay Marriage in Video Games. Kotaku. Retried from http://kotaku.com/a-brief-history-of-gay-marriage-in-video-games-1714251913
- LGBT characters in video games. (n.d.). Retrieved fromhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_characters_in_video_games
- Maiberg, E. (2014). Dragon Age: Inquisition has straight, bisexual, and gay romances because they tell different stories, Bioware says. GameSpot.http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragon-age-inquisition-has-straight-bisexual-and-g/1100-6421222/
- Rougeau, M. (2015, January 10). How I realized by Dragon Age: Inquisition character is gay. Kotaku, http://kotaku.com/how-i-realized-my-dragon-age-inquisition-character-is-1678673801
- Romance. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Romance
- Steven. (2011, March 14). Adam and Steve, dragon slayers. Retrieved fromhttp://queerious.com/tag/ultima-vii