Marty and Dagdar are two playable characters in Fire Emblem: Thracia 776. Though the game was never released outside of Japan, fans have translated the game for play in English. In the fan-translation, Marty has an ending with text as follows:
Marty – The Man Whom Dagdar Loved (ダグダが愛した男 Daguda ga aishita otoko)
Returning to Mount Violdrake, Marty reunited with his old friends, and set about restoring the barren land. While somewhat dim-witted, his absentmindedness gave way to a sort of rugged honesty and innocence. His straightforward and uncomplicated nature won him many friends, and he was especially beloved among children.
In this reddit thread, Soeda Ippei, an artist who has worked on Fire Emblem Heroes, has his art of Marty and Dagdar displayed. In the comments, there is a discussion over whether the original Japanese text is referring to fatherly or romantic love. Additionally, Dagdar has a daughter named Tanya, but not much other information is known about her mother. Because of this, we have categorized Marty as Gay Implicit and Dagdar as Bisexual Implicit.
LGBTQ references in this game series:
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (1999): Marty and Dagdar
See also QRM’s entry for this game series
- Boarbaque. (2018, August 7). R/fireemblem – Comment by u/Boarbaque on “Ippei has joined the Marty Party!” Retrieved July 24, 2020, from https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/95ikqp/ippei_has_joined_the_marty_party/e3t0h4i/
- Boarbaque. (2018, August 7). R/fireemblem – Ippei has joined the Marty Party! Retrieved July 24, 2020, from https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/95ikqp/ippei_has_joined_the_marty_party/
- Ippei_painter. (2018, August 7). マーティMarty from Fire Emblem: Thracia 776. The Man Whom Dagdar Loved. #IppeiFE [Tweet]. Retrieved from https://twitter.com/Ippei_painter/status/1027034723506302982.
- Various. (n.d.). Dagdar. Retrieved July 24, 2020, from https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Dagdar
- Various. (n.d.). Marty. Retrieved July 24, 2020, from https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Marty