Maya is a playable character in Borderlands 2, known for her mysterious Siren magical abilities. The player can complete a mission where they learn more about her backstory being imprisoned on the planet Athenas by a corrupt religious order of monks. After some speculation by fans about her lack of sexual banter and comments about “not knowing anything about romance,” Anthony Burch noted on his Ask.fm that he headcanons Maya as asexual (though he wasn’t sure how that could be reconciled with her “sexual” character design).
LGBTQ references in this game series:
- (n.d.). Maya (character page). Borderlands Wiki. Retrieved from http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Maya
- (n.d.). Maya (character entry). TV Tropes Wiki. Retrieved from http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/SecondBorderlandsVaultHunters
- (2014, November 13). People’s sexualities in Borderlands. Reddit (/r/Borderlands). Retrieved from https://www.reddit.com/r/Borderlands/comments/2m8ezj/peoples_sexualities_in_borderlands/
- Nico W. (2015, October 14). Borderlands & Asexual Representation: How I Discovered My Sexuality While Playing a First-Person Shooter. The Mary Sue. Retrieved from https://www.themarysue.com/borderlands-and-asexual-representation/
- Anthony Burch. (2014, November 13). Why is maya asexual. Ask.FM. Retrieved from https://ask.fm/reverendanthony/answers/120137542984